There always comes a time to focus on preserving the harvest. You can freeze tomatoes for making sauce later on, freeze pesto and even making refrigerator pickles. With your cucumbers lately and I decided to try my hand at making refrigerator pickles – a good example recipe to check out is Martha Stewart’s recipe.
8 cups sliced cucumbers (I use this Norpro Deluxe Mandoline Slicer/Grater mandolin to cut my cucumbers and am very happy with it)
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
1. Toss cucumbers, onion, and salt – set aside.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Divide cucumber mixture between four pint-sized canning jars.
4. Pour vinegar mixture over. (Invest in a canning funnel SO worth it.)
5. Put a lid on and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Note: We did sterilize my jars and lids before using them.