This week’s Thanksgiving with a Twist post takes on the traditional mashed potato in favor of its distant cousin, the smashed potato. This may be the new favorite in my house. Check it out.
Red Skin Potatoes
Toppings (butter and sour cream are more traditional for Thanksgiving, but broccoli and cheese are pretty delicious… you could also do chili and cheese… the possibilities are endless, to be honest.)
1. Place potatoes in a pot of water and cover them with at least an inch of water.
2. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-40 minutes. The potatoes should be tender and easily pierced with a fork.
3. Remove them from the water and carefully dry them with a towel. Place them on a cookie sheet.
4. Using a towel and the palm of your hand smash each potato by pressing lightly on the potato.
5. Drizzle each potato with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake in a 450-degree oven for 45 minutes.
6. Remove potatoes, top as desired and serve.
These may sound simple (and they are) but the roasting after boiling makes the texture and taste of these potatoes like no other. Try them out and let me know what you think.