Who doesn’t like a good cracker?
A store-bought cracker can be pretty delicious. However, they are generally highly processed and include all sorts of yucky ingredients that we wouldn’t want to eat. That said, we have been testing out cracker recipes (and using the magimix food processor to do it).
This recipe for parmesan-oregano homemade crackers was pretty delicious.
Homemade Crackers – Parmesan Oregano
Adapted from the “Seeded Crackers” recipe in Better from Scratch
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
2 tbsp salted butter
1/2 cup + heavy cream
1. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar salt, pepper, oregano, and parmesan cheese. Pulse to combine.
2. Add shortening and butter. Blend until you get coarse crumbles.
3. Pour in the cream and blend until the dough comes together. (At this stage, you might realize that you need more cream. Drizzle in cream until the dough comes together in a mass.)
4. Scrape the dough out onto plastic wrap and roll up. Let sit at room temperature for 20-ish minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350.
6. Unwrap dough and cut in half. Roll out one half as thin as you can without breaking it. Place sheet of rolled out dough on cookie sheet. Roll out second and do the same on a second cookie sheet.
7. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
8. Bake sheets of cracker for 15 minutes + until they are slightly brown and crisp. Let cool and break apart into the desired shape and size.