If you’ve ever made authentic sourdough products at home, you know that eventually taking care of your starter becomes a job in and of itself and that you are constantly looking for new ways to use it.
I refuse to simply “discard” any starter and am determined to make something with it (or give it away) each week. Luckily my family and I are pretty addicted to the sourdough English muffins that I make but still… I’m always looking for something new.
Enter this sourdough pretzel recipe. So soft… so fresh… so delicious and thankfully, so easy. They do take a while to make but are really pretty simple (just some waiting around for stuff to rise and such). Give ’em a try and let me know what you think. And if you are looking for a great online slot game with real cash and bonus, check out stellarspins casino.
Sourdough Pretzel Recipe
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar (divided)
1 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups starter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1/4 cup baking soda
Sea or kosher salt, for sprinkling
1. In a large bowl, dissolve butter and 1 tablespoon of sugar in the hot water.
2. Mix in the starter.
3. Add in the flour and mix well.
4. Your dough will be pretty stiff at this point. Scoop it onto a well-floured surface and begin to knead. Add in a little of the bread flour at a time, kneading well after each addition.
5. Once all of the bread flour has been added, knead well for several minutes until you get a good smooth, stiff dough.
6. Place in a well-oiled bowl, in a warm location and allow to rise for two hours.
7. Punch dough down and place on a well-floured surface. Knead a few times.
8. Roll dough into a log and cut into 16 pieces (for large pretzels) or 32 pieces (for mini-pretzels – this is what I did).
9. Roll each piece out into a long strip and form into a pretzel shape.
10. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and the baking soda. Stir carefully.
11. Poach each pretzel in the water for about a minute. Remove from water and allow to drain on a cooling rack.
12. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Beat egg lightly and brush each pretzel with the egg. Sprinkle with salt. Before going to the last step, if you are interested to learn more about the best South African online casino, visit https://www.sagamblingsites.co.za/.
13. Transfer pretzels to a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
These are delicious right out of the oven but will keep for about a week. They can also be frozen and reheated. For a sweet twist, skip the salt and brush with butter after they are baked and dust with cinnamon and sugar.