I am really excited about today’s post.
I love Christmas. It is my favorite holiday.
Now that I have children, I am really enjoying making it special for them and creating traditions for the holiday season. One thing that has become an easy tradition around here is the annual making of peppermint bark. You can buy shelf-stable peppermint bark
from just about anywhere but believe me when I say that (as with most things) you cannot beat the taste of a fresh, homemade batch.
Check out my recipe below.
Where to Buy
Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Dark Chocolate Bar
Callebaut White Discs 26 % (2 lb)
Arcor Red & White Peppermint Starlights Candy | White Center
Nielsen-Massey Pure Peppermint Extract
17-20 ounces white chocolate (don’t skimp. buy the good stuff Callebaut White Discs 26 % (2 lb)
by making sure it has “cocoa butter” in the ingredient list)
30 red and white peppermint candies
, coarsely crushed (I run mine through the food processor)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Turn a baking sheet over and cover it with a sheet of foil. This is where you will spread out your melted chocolate.
2. Pour about 2/3 of your white chocolate into the top part of a double boiler. (I use a pyrex measuring cup in a saucepan of boiling water.) Turn on the heat and melt the chocolate.
3. Pour the melted chocolate onto the foil sheet and spread it around into the shape of a large rectangle using the back of a spoon.
3. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes or so.
4. Combine your dark chocolate, peppermint extract and heavy cream in a second double boiler (or a second glass measuring cup, like I do). Heat the chocolate mixture until all of the chocolate is melted.
5. Remove the cookie sheet from the freezer and pour the chocolate mixture over the frozen white chocolate. Spread it around with the back of a spoon.
6. Top with half of the crushed peppermints and put in the freezer for 15 minutes.
7. Reusing the white chocolate double boiler, melt the remaining third of white chocolate.
8. Remove the cookie sheet from the freezer and pour the last of the melted white chocolate on top.
9. Top with the remaining crushed peppermint candies and place in the freezer.
10. Remove from the freezer. Peel the foil off and cut into whatever size pieces that you desire.