Like most cities in Texas, Austin is not immune to pests. More often than not, homeowners have to deal with pest infestation. While some like spiders, are relatively harmless, others are not. It is imperative that you keep an eye on the possible signs of infestation and opt for immediate remediation. You can check this page to find out more about reliable local pest control services. In this post, we are discussing the common pests in Austin and the steps you can take to keep these unwanted guests at bay.
Pests to watch for
You may encounter different pests with changing seasons, but some are more common than others. Some of the common pests found in the city include fleas, fire ants, ticks, mosquitos, rodents, termites, carpenter ants, and spiders. Bed bugs are also common in most areas,
Steps to take
Pests, like any other species, are in constant search of food, and therefore, they look for sources that are easily accessible. Homes that are not cleaned often or not well-kept are the ones that deal with pest situations more often. Here are some steps you can take –
- Get rid of food sources and keep your trash cans covered.
- Ensure that there is no food in the open, even in the kitchen.
- Clean behind appliances and furniture where pests can make a home.
- Keep the storage areas in check.
- Keep all surfaces clean and ensure that your carpets are professionally cleaned once a month.
- Avoid keeping dirty dishes in the sink at night.
- Clean the outdoors and ensure there is no garbage around.
- Landscape your garden often.
- Get rid of stagnant water in any container or toy outside.
- Keep a check on the basement and attic.
Call a pest control company
Even when you have done the above, you may find insects and rodents on your property, and it is absolutely important that you opt for proactive pest control. Call a reliable local company and get your property inspected at least once before the start of a new season. You should seek immediate solutions after spotting signs like droppings, mud tubes, and damaged home structures. Some pests are often hard to find, and therefore, inspections and preventive measures can help in keeping the situation in check. Hire a pest control company that’s based in Austin, is licensed, insured, and has an in-house team. Also, ask for an estimate and go for a maintenance contact.