Lip balm can be a wonderful thing, especially in very dry weather. You can take a stab at making it yourself. Here is a recipe to check out:
Homemade Lip Balm – with Tint
2 tbsp beeswax
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
beetroot powder or a chunk of your own favorite lip color
1. Put beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler (or if you are lame like me and don’t have a double boiler, a glass measuring cup over water in a pan works just fine, too). Let it melt as the water boils. Stir frequently.
2. Once the beeswax is melted, add the vanilla extract and lip color/beetroot powder. Stir. If using lipstick, wait for it to melt completely.
3. Pour into containers and allow to cool completely.
Couple of things we learned:
- Use more lip color than you think will be necessary.
- The color of the beeswax will affect the resulting color of your lip color – keep that in mind.
- If you want to have a softer balm, use less beeswax.