You all know that we try to make as much of our food from scratch, with natural, wholesome ingredients, as we can. During the holiday season, this can be difficult (especially when you add a newborn into the equation!). Time is short, schedules are busy, guests are visiting and things fall through the cracks. However, we are determined to keep up with our healthy eating habits during this holiday season.
That’s why we created this recipe for a Savory Breakfast Braid – hopefully, you’ll find it useful too. It is filled with a delicious blend of breakfast ingredients including: smoked gouda cheese, eggs, spinach, and caramelized onions and the crust is made with whole wheat flour.
The great thing about this recipe is that it makes a pretty large portion, which can be used to entertain a number of guests for breakfast or it can be wrapped in individual portions and reheated in the oven for a week’s worth of healthy, delicious and easy breakfasts.
Savory Breakfast Braid
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-2 cups packed spinach
- 1-2 cups smoked gouda cheese
- 1 egg
- salt, to taste
Make the Dough
1. Pour the warm water into a large bowl, mix in the sugar and sprinkle the yeast on top of the water/sugar mixture. Leave to sit for 10 minutes (this allows the yeast to proof).
2. Once the yeast has proofed, mix in the remaining ingredients (save 1/2 cup of flour) until you have a shaggy dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Incorporate the remaining half cup of flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
4. Place in a well oiled bowl, in a warm spot, to rise for 30 minutes.
Make the Filling
1. Slice the onions into thin slices.
2. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Turn the heat up slightly and add onion to the pan.
4. Let cook, stirring every so often until the onions turn dark brown. Sprinkle with the sugar so that they caramelize.
5. Add spinach and stir gently until wilted.
6. Scoop veggies into a separate bowl and set aside.
7. Melt remaining tbsp of butter in the pan and add eggs. Salt to taste.
8. Cook eggs until almost done. Add veggies to the egg and stir gently. (Eggs should not be completely cooked, as they will finish cooking in the oven.)
1. Roll dough out into a (roughly) 12×15 rectangle on a lightly floured surface or on parchment paper, if you have it.
2. Place veggie/egg mixture down the center of the dough.
3. Sprinkle with shredded smoked gouda cheese
4. Using a pizza cutter, slice 1 inch strips in the side of the dough (see picture above).
5. “Braid” the dough by placing the strips one on top of the other.
6. Transfer completed braid to a cookie sheet and brush with lightly beaten egg.
7. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Slice and serve warm.
We really enjoy this dish and it is also highly customizable!